All year, John Walsh and the crew at America’s Most Wanted have been working hard to track down some of the most dangerous lowlifes, trying to get them off of the street. We’ve compiled a list of Walsh’s worst of the worst – the top 10 criminals of 2009, and we need your help to bring them to justice.
»John Walsh's Top 10 of 2009 Interactive Feature
10. Glen Holmes Jr.: Police in Conroe, Texas, say that when Holmes needed a ride one night, he carjacked Barry Thomas and fatally shot him in the back. He then led police on a high-speed chase that included a stop at a fast food drive-through where he demanded tacos to-go, police said. They believe he is hiding out in New Orleans.
9. Apple Valley Bank Robber: If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. Police say an unknown, a persistent, Midwestern bank robber took that advice to heart after his first failed attempt. He kidnapped a family and held them hostage as he fulfilled his thirst for cash. The kidnapping victims were unharmed and let go, but the suspect remains unidentified.
8. Henry Menjivar: Police in Stafford County, Va., and the U.S. Marshals are looking for Henry “Droopy” Menjivar, a man they say is a member of the deadly MS-13 street gang. Authorities say Menjivar set out to raise his stature within his crew July 18, 2006, at any cost. He and a few of his crew members are accused of murdering Shannah Angeles in cold blood, mistakenly believing she was involved with a rival gang.
7. Nazira Cross: Within weeks of meeting Nazira Ugalde, Reno, Nev., entrepreneur and businessman Mike Cross married the new love of his life. After eight years of marriage, police say that love turned into something else entirely. After allegedly embezzling tens of thousands of dollars from Mike, police say Nazira poisoned him and fled to Costa Rica.
6. Jose Saenz: In October 2009, the FBI added alleged gangbanger Jose Luis Saenz to their Ten Most Wanted list. They also uncovered a slew of aliases and new clues they hope will lead to the accused rapist and murderer.
5. Abraham Mpaka: Authorities say a loving mom was brutally stabbed to death by her boyfriend, a smooth-talking African named Abraham Mpaka. “He’s a cold, calculating killer,” the police working the case told AMW. “We’re gonna make him pay for his crimes.”
4. Berny Figueroa: For Sandra Lopez, March 11, 2008, started like any other day, but it ended in tragedy. Police say Sandra’s 2-year-old daughter, Alexia Lopez, was beaten to death by her baby sitter, Benny Figueroa. Now police and Lopez are hoping that your tips will bring this accused child killer to justice.
3. Emmanuel Vanderhorst: A group of friends enjoying drinks at a bar in the Virgin Islands tried to do the right thing and come to the aid of a woman they heard being beaten. They rushed to her rescue, and three people were killed immediately in the firestorm that followed. Another person later succumbed to his injuries. Police now believe that one of the suspects, Emmanuel Polanco Vanderhorst, escaped to the continental United States.
2. Jesus “Chuy” Canales: Family members tell AMW that Lucy Preciado was tired of her lazy husband fighting and mistreating their children and that she was moving out of their home. But he refused to let her leave, and police say he impaled her with a sword right in front of their children. Investigators believe Canales has possibly fled as far as El Salvador, and they need your help tracking him down.
1. Beacher Hackney: Police say Beacher F. Hackney, a janitor at a luxurious homestead resort in Hot Springs, Va., was a ticking time bomb that exploded March 21, 2009. Police say he shot two of his supervisors to death during that night’s busy dinner shift. He then casually walked out of the hotel and hasn’t been seen since. Now he’s John Walsh’s most wanted fugitive.